Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 297

Can I just say real quick that it absolutely pisses me off when I hear people say, in regards to Don't Ask Don't Tell, "Don't we have bigger things to deal with right now?"

As I was telling Zee just a moment ago, what can be more important than ensuring the rights of our citizens? What can be more important than defending those rights? And what is the point of our military going into other countries and defending their freedom when we don't even guarantee basic rights in our own?

It seems like that would be the biggest issue to me, but maybe that's because I'm the one who doesn't enjoy full rights. Maybe I feel that way because I can't get married to the person I want, or because the military says I can't be a part of her Army Life - and everyone knows that the Army is a culture and is a huge part of her world. And that's something I'm not allowed into. And maybe I feel that way because a "civil union" feels like I'm being told to go the back of bus, and it hurts because I thought we as a country had moved past all that.

And maybe the people who make comments like "There are bigger issues" feel free to say it because it's not a concern to them. What is to them if gays can or cannot legally be open with their lives, or get married, or share insurance, or have benefits, or be allowed into the hospital to see their partner? It doesn't affect their lives any, so obviously we have "bigger fish to fry."

Well sorry if I take comments like those a little personally, because I feel that I am important, I do matter, and, even if I'm not a part of the majority, I deserve to have full and equal rights.

Like Zee said in our conversation earlier, we just want to be normal. We don't want to fight. And we shouldn't have to fight for something that should be have been ours in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. It's sad that this is even an issue in our country in 2011.

    I also have to say that it's been really interesting and eye-opening for me to read here and see what you face. I can't lie, as someone who hasn't had to fight for the right to marry the person I love or worry about someone in the Army knowing we were together, I've taken that for granted. Reading your posts it reminds me that I shouldn't...but more importantly, that everybody should be able to not think about it or take it for granted. It should be a given. It's sick and sad and ridiculous. I can't say I know how it is but I sincerely hope that someday soon it changes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis