Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 337

I was thinking this morning about how my blog is technically from the point of view of a Military Girlfriend going through her first deployment.

Albeit, a Gay Military Girlfriend, but still.

The thing is, I don't feel the "Military" part. I'm not in a relationship with the Army. In fact, the Army and I aren't exactly friends right now. I'm pretty sure if I ran into the Army at a party, we would shake hands with plastic smiles on our faces. As soon as one of us turned away, we'd be scowling and wondering who invited "that person" to the party.

So this makes me wonder, what exactly makes a "military couple" or a "military spouse"? Where is the distinction? Are girlfriends as gung-ho for the military aspect of their boyfriends as the wives are of their husbands?

This is a topic for me to research, I think.

In other news, the DADT talk is heating up! Today was McCain versus Gates. It was a beautiful round where McCain made profound arguments, such as, "But we're at war! But...! But...! Our guys and girls are delicate flowers that can't handle extreme changes!"

And tomorrow they're supposed to be bringing in the heads of the different branches, who are stated as being very much against the repeal. We shall see, we shall see...

Today, I read a very nice summation of the report and the upcoming days. It mentioned briefly the questions that will have to be dealt with once DADT is repealed. I'm pleased to note that it addressed essentially the same concerns I noted in Day 339.

There was one argument, though, the opposing side proposed that just tickled me.
"[Repealing DADT is] tantamount to saying to women that you are going to have to share living quarters and private areas [with men]," he said, referring to allowing openly gay service members to share barracks and showers. "We don't do that today with men and women. Now we're going to ask men and women to do so with people who are admittedly sexually attracted to them?"
Ok, sir, see - the problem with this statement is that soldiers already are showering and sharing quarters, regardless of whether or not they are being held back by Don't Ask Don't Tell. And they are aware of exactly who they are showering and sleeping alongside. Go back to the report where 9 out of 10 said they already know people who are gay and serving...

Silly DADT Opponents...

Day 21: Scenario - Your best friend is in a car accident and you two got into a fight an hour before. What do you do?

I am lucky in that I have two amazing Best Friends. And through all the years that I have known both of them, we have only ever had one "fight" each. Both were just misunderstandings that, once resolved, made us stronger than ever. That being said, I can say quite confidently that I don't see fighting with either of them ever again as a possibility. And even if we were to disagree over something, I know that it wouldn't matter in the grand scheme of our friendship. These guys are seriously the best ever. You should be jealous.


1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous. Jealous that you and Spargo got to wear your cap and gowns. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis